Saturday, May 3, 2008

Mac-n-Cheese

Using the Uncheese Cookbook I decided to try the mac-n-cheese recipe. This means a wheat & dairy free version for MG. It wasn't too difficult to make. Our new favorite ingredient is nutritional yeast. Yet another item I never knew existed. This is what it looks like:
I know it looks like saw dust in this picture but it actually has a nice light 'cheesey' taste. In fact it's Nutritional Yeast in our favorite dairy free chips that makes them taste cheesey. If you haven't tried Tings you should give them a try. It's like a naked cheeto and they are fantastic!

Anyway, back to the recipe. The picture below is what I made on the left and what the recipe was supposed to look like on the right. Mine had no hope of a cheesy texture. My texture was more like a thick hummus. Both Toro and I tasted it. It was fine - bland, but I could have ate more. Unfortunately it didn't pass the toddler test. I will try to intice MG with it again but so far MG says two thumbs down.

0 comments: