Friday, August 15, 2008

Freezing Blueberries

Last year my friend Kristi clued me in to all the blueberry farms in our area and explained how easy it was to freeze them. I was clueless to the process so I'm going to share it here in hopes someone else wants to know how fun it is to freeze blueberries. We picked 3 pounds of blueberries a few days ago and I'm all ready to go pick more. Warning: once you start there is no way to stop you from becoming a picking blueberry addict like me and you can't ever seem to pick enough no matter how many times you go.

Wash the blueberries in water.

Set them out on a plate with paper towels and lightly pat them dry.

Place blueberries on a baking sheet with waxed paper and put in your freezer for between 1 - 2 hours until blueberries are frozen.
Promptly place them in individual freezer bags. I like to measure as I go so I know exactly the quantities of blueberries I have.
You will then have fabulous blueberries at your fingertips 24/7! If anyone else has any berry freezing tips I'd love to hear them.

6 comments:

Jen said...

That sounds fun! You are lucky to have those resources at your fingertips. :)

Little Birdie Secrets said...

Thanks for the tips! I am planning on going to pick some this weekend, but I've never done it before and was worried about the freezing. This will be perfect for smoothies!

Congrats on the wheat update, too! Bonnie has told me a little about your situation. My nephew has had the same issues and I know how challenging it can be.

Thanks for the comment on the notebooks, too! Good luck on the giveaway, and thanks for linking us on your blog!

~mandy

Dana J Purcell said...

You don't know me, but I am a friend of Carol Griffeth's and I saw the link to your blog on hers. I just have to tell you I love your blog. I have two kids with food allergies (peanut, tree nuts, milk and eggs) and it is so hard to feed them! You blog is really fun to read! :)

Lisita said...

Mandy - I'm so glad you found some helpful info on my site. Thanks for the comments and I look forward to more fun ideas from your blog!

Lisita said...

Dana - I'm so glad you found my site and appreciate the compliments! That is a hard combination of allergies. Let me know if you ever need someone to vent to who understands what you are going through!

onebrilliantgirl said...

I'm so glad you did this! I was freezing raspberries last week and I wish I would have done a little research before I did it. You're so wise. We should go pick berries together next year. :)