Tuesday, September 2, 2008

What NOT to say

MG got her hair cut this morning for the first time. I explained to the stylist that I'd like to look at the ingredients of any products she might use on her hair because of her peanut and tree-nut allergies. The stylist started talking about kids with peanut allergies and said,
"But, peanut butter is SOOO good! How can you not eat it?"
I quickly and quietly said, "Don't say that in front of my daughter!" Then I said (loud enough for MG to hear) that we really love soy butter.

I know people just don't understand if they haven't gone through it but isn't it common sense that little one's want what they can't have? We are already struggling with teaching her how dangerous it is and trying to tame her curiosity as she'd like to try it. It doesn't help our case when so many around us keep saying how wonderful it is. We even had a friend in our home that as he was leaving said:

"I'm going to go eat some peanut butter now!"

He was trying to be funny but it was obviously NOT a joke to us. Please, PLEASE think twice about what you say about peanuts & tree-nuts to kids who have life threatening allergies to them! Ok, I'll step down from my soap box for the rest of today.

3 comments:

Megan said...

Good point! I can't believe the hairdresser said that. Maybe she thought MG wouldn't hear her?? Hmm that's too bad.

I am understanding much more now a little bit of what you are feeling now that I have the little boy in my class with a peanut allergy and I am responsible for his safety. Scary! It's because I know you and I've heard you share your feelings about this that I know how his mom must feel and it helps me be more sensitive to it.

Carly said...

I can't believe she said that. Some people are clueless. I think you reacted perfect to the situation. You are a good Mommy!!!

whitty-acres said...

Thank you for your cash comment! I will be coming to Seattle on the 5-6th of December and I'm booking sessions now. If you want in, let me know!

Wendy from Blue Lily Photography