Saturday, October 4, 2008

Peach Blueberry Crumble

(Pic from my last blueberry picking mania, a few weeks ago. I was in love with the beauty of the blue sky, fresh blueberries and fall leaves.)

My parents were in town last week and I was excited to show mom all of the canning I'd accomplished, thanks to Donna. Mom was anxious to taste my work so I made them a peach blueberry crumble using my canned peaches and frozen blueberries. My friend Rachel was kind to share this divine recipe:

Peach and Blueberry Crumble (Barefoot Contessa)

For the fruit
2 pounds firm, ripe peaches, 6-8 peaches (I used canned)
2 tsp grated lemon zest
2 TBSP freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4 cup granulated sugar
¼ cup all-purpose flour
1 cup fresh or blueberries (1/2 pint) (I used frozen)

For the crumble
1 cup all-purpose flour
3 T. granulated sugar
2 T. light brown sugar, lightly packed
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
¼ pound (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, diced

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Slice the peaches into thick wedges, and place them in a large bowl. Add the lemon zest, lemon juice, granulated sugar, and flour. Toss well. Gently mix in the blueberries. Allow the mixture to sit for 5 minutes. Spoon the mixture into individual ramekins or a 9x13-in pan.

For the topping, combine the flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, and the butter in the bowl of an electric mixture fitted with a paddle attachment. Mix on low speed until the butter is the size of peas. Rub the mixture with your fingertips until it’s in big crumbles, then sprinkle evenly over the fruit. Place the ramekins (or 9x13-in pan) on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper and bake for 40-45 minutes, until the tops are browned and crisp and the juices are bubbly. Serve warm or at room temperature.

If you want to make these early, store the unbaked crumbles in the refrigerator and bake before dinner.

Allergy Note: If you are avoiding wheat use Brown Rice or White Rice Flour. If you are avoiding dairy try Nucoa Dairy Free Margarine.

1 comments:

Jen said...

Sounds yummy!