Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Bulk Spices

I have the most amazing store that I frequent that has the most incredible bulk section. Yes, they sell peanuts in every form possible and every last tree-nut in the world you could ever think of but I've talked to every employee in the bulk section at length about the life of their spices and where they travel and what they touch. What's even better is that they just recently located their nuts and their spices on opposite ends of the bulk department. I thanked them profusely for that change and they said I was the first to notice, awww. Now I don't have to worry about taking MG with me to get spices, phew! As I was purchasing my Thanksgiving spices yesterday the friendly employee and I started chatting. At the mention of brining she offered me a FREE bag for brining my turkey! When I couldn't find savory she rushed to the produce department to see if they had any fresh savory and then she brought it to me. I'm a sucker for good customer service!

If you are a bulk spice virgin you need to search out a store with a section like this (see below) and make it your best friend. Don't let the high prices scare you, $18.99/lb for bulk thyme was only .19 cents for what I needed. It's awesome and pretty all at the same time, I know!

2 comments:

Jen said...

Way to go! Is this the famous TJ's?

The Raybould Family said...

Hi Lisa. I got your comment about the Gingerbread House recipe. I've been searching for your email address and can't find it and the link to your blog isn't on my page anymore. Huh? Will you send me another invite to your family blog at lizraybould@hotmail.com? And we just got your cute christmas card in the mail. Thank you! You guys look great and wow, your cute girl is so big! I didn't realize you had such a battle with allergies. My nephew is 16 and has lived with Celiac Disease his whole life. I have a small understanding of that. It certainly takes dedication, especially on the part of the caretaker. As far as the gingerbread, I've used this really old recipe but it is similar to one I saw at martha stewart. You can search for that. Then you just melt the sugar in a skillet, like you would to sugar nuts (but wait...you probably never do that!). Let it melt all the way down to liquid and then keep the heat on low. We just dip the sides in it and put the house together. It almost instantly cools like cement. Caution! Woah hot stuff. We use the egg white Royal frosting to decorate.