Monday, November 3, 2008

Pumpkin Seeds

Now is a fabulous time to buy pumpkins at rock bottom prices. Forget the carving and focus on getting every last seed out for roasting. If you've never roasted your own seeds it's a must try. I've never find a store bought pumpkin seed that came close to the taste and crunch of roasting your own. I've always enjoyed pumpkin seeds and now that we don't allow peanuts and tree-nuts in our home pumpkin seeds are an extra special treat. Here is how I like to make them:

PUMPKIN SEEDS

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Toss seeds in a bowl with olive oil and salt. Spread the seeds in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake for about 45 minutes or until golden brown; stirring occasionally. Keep seeds in oven until oven is cooled or until they get extra crispy. Store in an air tight container and enjoy often!

On a side note Halloween turned out great with no allergy issues. PHEW!!! MG was at first upset about not being able to have anything from her bag but when I showed her all that was in her 'fake' bag and asked her if she wanted to trade me she didn't hesitate, phew.... bullet dodged. I think I might have to get even more creative next year, any ideas for me?

Our little monkey trick-or-treating.

1 comments:

Jen said...

What a cute monkey! BTW - roasted pumpkin seeds sound yummy!