Saturday, November 22, 2008

Thanksgiving Bug & Menu

I've never made a Thanksgiving dinner for my family before. First it was because we were enjoying the cuisine of our mother's. Then when we chose to move too many miles away we'd go out to dinner on Thanksgiving and have a fabulous time just the two of us. After MG came along we'd spend Thanksgiving with family every other year and on the off years we had kind invitations to join other families. I've never had the desire to make Thanksgiving dinner for my family until this year.


It started with reading the Nie Nie Dialogues (http://www.nieniedialogues.blogspot.com/). Then after hearing Elder Uchdort's talk Happiness Your Heritage, I felt inspired! (http://www.lds.org/conference/talk/display/0,5232,23-1-947-37,00.html) (I know, I know... I need to learn how to do the cool link thing so I don't' have to post the entire website & my lack of knowledge shows how long I've been out of the business world!)

What am I waiting for I asked? Why do I think I need five children around the table before our family is big enough to make a Holiday truly special and put extra effort into it. My dear daughter MG is the light of my life and my strong husband that makes me weak in my knees is my anchor.


So I've finally caught the bug, the Thanksgiving bug. Thankfully MG can eat wheat and dairy now which will make things easier. We are already used to eating without nuts and I've learned to substitute eggs, I can do this I said as I cheered myself on out loud. So I started practicing side dishes on Toro to see what he'd go crazy for (thank-you Pioneer Woman http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/!) and I've perfected our perfect Thanksgiving menu.


After I got the menu finalized I spent oodles of time creating my detailed grocery list and a timeline of what dishes need to be prepared on what day and at what hour. The cooking will begin on Tuesday. My meat man Toro is all set to Brine the turkey and we picked out a roasting pan today. I'm a crazed woman and the joy inside me is bubbling over. Thanksgiving can't come soon enough and even if I burn something or a dish turns out to be a disaster I'll still enjoy the precious time I'll have with my two favorite people in the whole wide world!
Thanksgiving Menu 2008
Turkey (brined)
Cranberry Sauce
Homemade Stuffing with Corn Bread
Creamy Mashed Potatoes
Acorn Squash
Copper Carrots
Homemade Rolls & Homemade Jam
Jello Pretzel Salad
Pumpkin Swirl Cheesecake
Banana Cream Pie


I'll provide recipes with egg substitutions for the dishes that cooperate after the big day!

2 comments:

Jen said...

Wow. I am so proud of my big sis! I hope that one day I can be just like you. (cheesy I know, but totally true)

Heather said...

Yum, yum, yum! Can't wait to hear how it all turns out. I'm sure it will be fantastic!