Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The Doctors & Trace Adkins

Trace Adkins was on the tv show The Doctors this week and I wanted to share this video!


I also wanted to share a segment synopsis, which I've copied below, with all the details they went over in the show. All great info! Please take time to educate yourself on food allergies. I'm certain you'll learn something new and you could possibly help save a life one day.

Deadly Food Allergies
More than three million children in the United States suffer from severe food allergies. Country music star Trace Adkins makes a guest appearance to raise awareness about the dangers of childhood allergies. He shares his terrifying ordeal of when his 6-year-old daughter, Briana, went into anaphylactic shock after unwittingly eating peanut butter. “It’s frightening how fast it happens,” he says, “it’s not minutes, it’s seconds.”

Trace’s wife, Rhonda, frets, “There isn’t a moment that I’m not thinking, ‘Is she safe?’” (I can completely relate!)

Dr. Jim lists dairy, egg, almonds, peanuts and walnuts as the most common allergen offenders. To help prevent the on-set of allergies, the pediatrician advises:
No egg whites until 12 months
No milk until 12 months
No peanut butter or peanut products until age two or three

Anaphylactic Shock
Anaphylactic shock can claim a life in less than five minutes. It is a severe type of allergic reaction that occurs within seconds after a person comes into contact with an allergen, triggering a massive immune system response. High levels of histamines and other substances flood the body and cause a rapid systemic failure, which leads to an immediate drop in blood pressure, swelling of the tongue, throat and eyes, difficulty breathing, shock, and if left untreated, death. Allergens include all types of food, animal hair and by-products, insects or even certain types of medications.

Epi-Pen
Trace demonstrates how to use an Epi-Pen, which contains a large dosage of epinephrine, or adrenaline, that counters the effects of the histamine reaction. However, he notes that the Epi-Pen is not a solution; it just buys you time to get to the emergency room. The important thing to remember is that every minute counts, so make sure to act quickly and get the victim to a hospital immediately.

Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network (FAAN)
Trace adds that the
Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network (FAAN) helped his family learn more about food allergies and ways to keep his daughter safe. So much so that he’s now a spokesperson for the organization. “Being a spokesperson for FAAN has changed my life,” he declares. “I’m trying to get the word out – I’m on a mission.”

3 comments:

Jen said...

Great post! Thanks for sharing this important info.

Little Lockards said...

Thanks, Lisa! I feel more informed now!

Jessica said...

Hi Lisa,
This is Jeni's friend, Jessica. Your blog is really interesting. I have been blessed not to have any sign of allergies in my children. I however have had too many close calls with my tree nut allergy. I almost lost my life on my honeymoon when I was told a salad did not contain nuts. I passed over my epi-pen in my purse because my shock had set in so fully. I was brought to the clinic in Park City, which I believe has since closed down. I hope there is something else open there now. I have also learned that if you are not right next to the airport in Maui, Hawaii it can take up to an hour to reach the hospital by ambulance. And that is after you wait for it to come to you! My epi-pen was the only thing that saved my life there, as those minutes were precious in getting me the help I needed. My shock set in seconds after my first bite of a walnut. I am glad there are advocates that get the attention for these little ones about allergies, and how important it is to keep up you epi-pen currency. Something I sometimes let myself get behind on because, "it is just me, not my kids." Thanks for the info! Sometimes it is nice to see my allergy taken so seriously in the media, because in life, it is often downplayed, even by those that witness my attacks. Good luck in your constant vigil to keep your daughter healthy! Sorry for the long comment!