Sunday, June 7, 2009

Applesauce Roll Pancakes

I'll proudly admit that every morning I wake up, since I discovered this gem of a recipe, I salivate while I think these three words, Applesauce Roll Pancakes. I found the recipe from a treasured book my mother gave me when I bravely left home to live a whole 14 miles away in the cool college dorms. I did think I knew it all back then but luckily mom knew better when she gave me this book:

'Where's Mom Now That I Need Her?'


Amazingly I've owned and cherished my copy for 14 years and only just discovered this recipe I'm about to share with you....
(I promise that objects in picture are even more deliciously desirable then they appear above.)

Applesauce Roll Pancakes
2 eggs, well beaten (I use Ener-g Egg Replacer)
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 T. sugar
1 cup applesauce

Heat applesauce in small saucepan; keep warm over low heat. Mix eggs and milk; add flour, salt, and sugar, and beat until smooth. Grease* a small frying pan and heat until very hot. Pour a fourth of the better into the pan; tip pan quickly until batter covers bottom of pan. Turn and brown slightly on other side. Remove from pan, spread with 1/4 cup warm applesauce, and roll. Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.

MG prefers that I make her SoyNut Butter Roll Pancakes and insists that the applesauce be on the side. It's true, this recipe is just like a thicker crêpe (and please use the French accent on the word crêpe because the American way just hurts my ears... sorry just a little pet peeve I picked up when I lived in France)... anyway... my point was that you can slather anything your heart desires on the pancake before you roll it up but at least try the warm applesauce at least once for me.

With the small amount of flour I'm really curious how these would turn out with rice flour. If anyone gives it a try don't forget to add xanthan gum to help hold everything together. A 1/4 tsp should do the trick for this recipe. Let me know how it turns out. I don't take the time to make wheat free as often now that MG isn't allergic to wheat.

*I find that if I grease the pan with a small amount of half butter and half canola oil the pancakes don't stick.

Bon Appétit and remember breakfast recipes are great for lunch and dinner too especially when you are making this little gem!

1 comments:

Heather said...

That makes two recipes I need to try. Those sound fabulous!