Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Berries: Jam & Flash Freezing

I can fully admit that I go crazy over berries every summer. This year I picked over 20 pounds of both strawberries and raspberries. I've gone once to pick blueberries and plan to go several more times before the season is over. There are so many fabulous fresh dishes to make with the berries but I mainly flash freeze the berries to enjoy them all year long. The method I blogged about last year is for blueberries but I've also flash froze strawberries and raspberries. The best thing that has come out of my berry picking this year is the jam. Last year all my jam attempts were a big flop as I was experimenting with lower sugar recipes. This year I nailed the perfect recipe and I'm excited to share it.


Strawberry & Raspberry Jam Recipe
*Ball Natural Gel No Sugar Needed Fruit Pectin
Follow the instructions for simple steps for freezer jams. The recipe says to use unsweetened cranberry-raspberry or apple juice. I tried both and the apple juice was my favorite. The cranberry-raspberry made the jam tart, too tart for my taste. The apple juice provided a great sweet taste to the jam. While the name of the pectin suggests that sugar is not needed I found it not to be true from previous attempts. You need to add at least 2/3 cup sugar to each recipe for every three cups of berries. If that sounds like a lot to you than compare that with the Original Ball Fruit Pectin which has you add 4 cups of sugar for every 2 cups of berries. I want jam to still taste like jam. I just don't want 4 cups of sugar in every recipe. My only problem now is that we are eating the jam too quickly. It's already time to make more. So now I'm going to head back to the kitchen to make more, yum!

4 comments:

Jen said...

Jealous!
That's all I can say.

Renae said...

It all looks so yummy! I hope that Adam will out grow his berry allergies and apple allergies. It definitely takes the fun out of berry and apple picking!

Davis family said...

Wow, what a warrior you are! I look forward to exploring your blog a little. All of our children have food intolerances and so we've done the dance around food for years. You have some good information and ideas...thanks for sharing!

Sorry I am so slow at getting back to you about the delicious pastry shop in Paris. We were lost when we stumbled across it. Lost on purpose...true exploring! Unfortunately we have NO idea where we were and wouldn't be able to find it again. Such a shame because it was above and beyond anything we found in the country. I'm going to keep thinking about it, though, and if I can come up with any clues that spark my memory I'll be sure to let you know. We'll want to know when we return someday, too!

Thanks for saying hello now and again on our blog. :)

Darcie Davis

Pam said...

I love freezer jam...it's my favorite. I've never flash froze my berries before, thanks for the idea.