Monday, November 30, 2009

Lentils and Brown Rice

Now that we are all burned out on spending lots of time in the kitchen I thought I'd share this fabulous recipe a friend shared with me at a church function and was kind enough to let me share it with all of you. It's beyond easy and I highly recommend the serving method A, as described below.

Lentils and Brown Rice

6 cups Chicken Broth
1 1/2 cups dry Lentils (uncooked)
1 large Onion, diced*
2-3 cloves Garlic
1 cup Brown Rice** (uncooked)
2 tsp. Cumin
1/8 tsp. Pepper
1/4 tsp. Salt

Place all the above ingredients in a large baking dish and cover with foil. Bake 350 degrees for 1 1/2 - 2 hours. Move the dish slowly from your counter to the oven as the amount of liquid makes it easy to spill (trust me on this).

*For optimal flavor saute the onions in a frying pan with a small amount of olive oil before adding to the baking dish.
**White rice is not recommend. It makes the dish too mushy.

Serving suggestions:
A) Melt cheese on the casserole the last 5 minutes of baking. Serve with avocados, tomatoes, sour cream, green onions, salsa and chips.
-OR-
B) Serve dish with corn bread on the side and lemonade for a sweet treat.

Thank-you Suzanne. I will always treasure this amazingly simple recipe you created!

4 comments:

Miryam (mama o' the matrices) said...

mmm. Looks good!

have you ever tried dahl? That's one of our lentil faves....

Lisita said...

Thanks Miryam! I haven't tried dahl. I think I've seen it at Trader Joes but it was made on shared equipment with nuts. Do you have a good recipe I could try? Or another brand to recommend?

Miryam (mama o' the matrices) said...

Oh, there's lots of versions, some more elaborate than others. We like a pretty basic approach:

1 onion, chopped smallish
1 cup red lentils (check for barley/stones/other oddities)
1 Tb mild curry powder
salt
black pepper
3 cups water
2 Tb oil
1/4 cup (or more, as you like) coconut milk

Heat the oil, add the onions. Saute until browning. Add water, lentils, curry powder, salt, pepper and stir. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer until the water is absorbed (15-25 minutes, depending on your stovetop). Stir in the coconut milk, and taste.

Serve with rice - I like to include a crunchy, fresh salad of some sort, to balance out the super-soft textures of the dahl and rice. My boys like sprinkling bits of crunchy apple on top, I like bits of avocado with the apple - and scallion! And if we could do nuts, I'd toss on some almonds...

Dahl often keeps for a week in our fridge - I eat it for lunch.

Lisita said...

Thanks again Miryam, I can't wait to give this a try!!