Thursday, November 19, 2009

Sweet Pumpkin Seeds

I'm excited to share my recipe for sweet pumpkin seeds and amazingly MG was gobbling them down faster than I could make them. I was silently cheering but made sure not to let her notice my excitement. All her allergy issues have certainly contributed to her being a picky eater. I grew up in a home where nuts were always in a bowl to nibble on around the holidays. This recipe is the perfect replacement for a bowl of nuts. No one will miss them as they nibble on these:

Sweet Pumpkin Seeds

1 cup raw pumpkin seeds, rinsed and dried
4 tablespoons white sugar, divided
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon olive oil

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Spread pumpkin seeds in a single layer on a baking sheet covered with aluminum foil that has been sprayed with non stick cooking spray. Toast for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally until dry and toasted.

In a bowl mix together 2 tablespoons of white sugar, salt, pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon. Set aside.

Heat the oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add the pumpkin seeds and sprinkle the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar over them. Stir with a wooden spoon until the sugar melts. Pour seeds into the bowl with the spiced sugar and stir until coated. Allow to cool before serving. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.

2 comments:

Megan said...

Oh wow that sounds so yummy!!!! I am in love with pumpkin seeds. I've never thought of making sweet pumpkin seeds. Delish.

Renae said...

It's nice to know someone else's allergy child is a picky eater too. If only... It's so frustrating sometimes. I'll have to remember this recipe for Adam. He'll be able to eat it!