Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Gift Giving

I know it's a challenge to select a Christmas gift for an individual or family that deals with food allergies. I was impressed at one friends thoughtful gift to us:

An offer to babysit MG in our home while we spent the night away!
It's so hard for me to leave MG with a sitter. To trust someone else to keep her safe. To teach them how to save her life with an EPI-Pen. It's scary. Yet there is a small circle of those I trust and to have one of them give me a worry free night away was such a treat!

Other thoughtful gifts MG & our family have received around the holidays:
*Sparkling Cider
*Apples with Carmel Dip
*Safe Candy in a bowl
*Toys

I think the key is verifying what is safe and not safe in the household before you decide on your gift. Read labels carefully. A store bought item is always safer than one made at home where cross contamination can easily happen. In the end it's the thought that counts and your gift receiver will be grateful they weren't forgotten even though they have severe allergies!

2 comments:

Jen said...

What a great idea!

Renae said...

I can SO sympathize with the Christmas gifts or any gifts for that matter. Hence why I just finished a post on my family blog www.renae-today.blogspot.com about what people can do for us.

The babysitter thing... such a nightmare! So far only our parents have watched the boys and I don't even trust them yet. Although watching my mom practice with one of the practice epipens gave me some reassurance.

Merry Christmas!