Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Chocolate Cake

Eggless cakes can be a challenge. Getting the middle not to fall without eggs is where all the trouble is for me. That's why I usually just fall back on cupcakes because who doesn't love a cupcake? This weekend I adapted a new recipe and we LOVED it! The batter was thick and reminded me of brownie batter. This cake is dense and a must for any chocoholics like MG & myself! We may have had this for breakfast the next day, just maybe.

MG's Chocolate Cake
(adapted from America's Test Kitchen: Pantry Chocolate Cake)

1/2 cup Cocoa Powder
3/4 cup boiling water
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/ teaspoon salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 teaspoon ener-g egg substitute powder

2 tablespoons water
2 teaspoon vanilla extract


1. Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8-inch square baking pan with a foil sling and grease the foil. Whisk the cocoa and the boiling water together in a small bowl. Let the mixture cool slightly. In a small bowl mix 1 1/2 teaspoons ener-g egg substitute powder with 2 tablespoons water. Mix well and set aside.

2. In a large bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk the vegetable oil, egg substitute mixture, vanilla, and cooled cocoa mixture together. Stir the oil mixture into the flour mixture and whisk until smooth.

3. Give the batter a final stir with a rubber spatula to make sure it is thoroughly combined. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan, smooth the top, and gently tap the pan on the counter to settle the batter.

4. Bake the cake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached, 30-40 minutes. (My cake took 40 minutes at sea level.) Rotate the pan halfway through baking. Let the cake cool completely in the pan, 1 to 2 hours. If desired remove the cake from the pan using the foil before serving.

A note on Ener-g Egg Replacer: If you don't have this and can't have eggs in your diet go buy it now. You can order it online. It's so easy to use and substitutes egg's easily. As soon as MG outgrew her potato allergy it was the first thing I bought. One box lasts me almost a year. More than worth the price in my book. (I receive no compensation from ener-g, I just truly love baking with their product!)

Up next, Chocolate Frosting!

4 comments:

Little Lockards said...

That looks so good! Is that the actual cake you made? If so, it looks way better than any of my cakes ever do. I'm going to be at Emily's house a week from Friday. You should drop by so I can see Baby J!

Jen said...

You know me, I'm not a huge fan of chocolate. But I was a bit tempted to lick my computer screen. It looks that good!

Renae said...

It looks delicious. Have you tried to double the batch in a 9x13 pan? I have birthdays coming up and it just might do the trick! But I have to have a bigger cake. Thanks for the inspiration!

Lisita said...

Yes, that is the cake we made. I haven't tried the 9x12 yet. I'll let you know if I do and if it works.